Small Businesses should be aware of an increasing number of phone scams doing the rounds offering exclusive deals on advertising. The claim to be linked to charities or emergency services such as the police through a magazine. As they old saying goes "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.".
Other types of phone scams try and convince you to have huge amounts by switch energy supplies. If you run your business or company from home then they try and get you to switch from a residential tariff to a commercial tariff, don't get caught out. If you want to get the best tariff then do your own research or use a popular energy comparison site.
Tips for spotting phone scams:
- Have you heard of the Company before?
- Do a Google search for the Company/Business name and any phone numbers they call on, get caller I'D. from your phone provider if you don't already have it.
- If they claim to be linked to an organisation such as a charity or the police, then do some research and check with that organisation.
- Don't accept any offers over the phone, always ask for written conformation.
- Don't be taken in by heart breaking stories.
What if you need the services they are offering?
Simply, don't accepted the services from cold callers. Search Google for the services you need, compare offerings and then read reviews. Even better, ask for recommendations from people you know and trust.
Consider registering with the Telephone Preference Service:
Both individuals and companies can register for free with the Telephone Preference Service to stop cold calling. This will help reduce legitimate cold callers, scammers with take no notice. But if you registered and get cold calls, then you can probably assume they are a scammer. Read the details on the Telephone Preference Service Website for more details.
Advertising is expensive, spend your money wisely.
Advertising is expensive, especially for small businesses. It is very easy to waste hard earned money on advertising. Make sure you spend you money wisely and don't get caught out my phone scams etc.